Saturday, November 17, 2012

So... Let's Talk About Sports and Exercise Massage.



In case you didn't guess from the title of this blog, I am a Licensed Massage Therapist. I specialized in Sports and Exercise Massage. When I chose that specialization, to be honest, I was thinking about all the lovely buff athletes I could massage. *shrugs* I mean, that wasn't the only thing I was thinking about but it was definitely a benefit of it. But then I realized that I wanted to go more into the health and fitness aspect of it. I am on a fitness journey so with me adding exercise to my lifestyle, this would be perfect. So when I made this blog, along with fitness and nutrition tips and stuff about me and my Ari-Bug, I wanted to incorporate my Massage Therapy/Sports and Exercise Massage specialization. 






Sports and exercise masssage has physical and psychological benefits. Massage can prevent injuries and also help relieve pain and help heal injuries. It can relieve muscle soreness that is associated with athletic competition and exercise. Anxiety before or after an event can also be reduced! I mean massages are pretty freaking relaxing!

As far as injury prevention is concerned, massage can stretch your muscles along the fibers of your muscles and also cross-fiber, which releases tension. It can break down scar tissue as well. Scar tissue can cause inflexible tissues and then you are more likely to become injured. By lossening up these hypertonic or tight mucsles, you can increase blood flow to the area and then the blood with be better absorbed and used.


Ok, so think back to your last intense workout. You absolutely KILLED that workout! At first, you feel pretty good, but after a day or two, you can barely think about moving without being sore. This is Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, or DOMS. During your killer workout, muscle tension built up in your soft tissues, along with small muscle tears and maybe some minor injuries. That's what is making you so sore. Well guess what, massage can reduce DOMS by about 30% by increasing circulation and blood flow to the areas affects. And if its possible for you to receive a massage after your workout or athletic event, you will reduce the overall effects of DOMS. WINNING!

Now for what everyone pretty much knows about massage. ITS VERY RELAXING AND SOOTHING. It releases endorphins that help relieve pain and soreness. Massage stimulates the mechanoreceptors that can sense touch, warmth and pressure. This results in even deeper relaxation and reduced anxiety. Now if you are about to participate in a sport, competition or exercise, the slow relaxing massage may not be the best way to go. You can pump yourself up and invigorate your muscles by receiving a pre-event massage, which is done with faster, shorter motions.



I've been privileged with the opportunity to do post-event massage at the Marine Corps Marathon 2011. I met many people from all over the country. For some, it was their first marathon. For some, it was one of many. One person had a tattoo of a four leaf clover, with 26.2 below it. 

The purpose of a massage after a major event is to aid the athlete to recover from the activity. This is achieved by reducing post-exercise soreness, re-establishing full range of motion and enhancing blood flow to tight muscles. 
The length of recovery time from strenuous competition can be dramatically reduced with a good post-event massage. Studies have found that correctly applied massage in the first two hours after activity can be critical for reducing the effect of delayed onset muscle soreness.


I have read a little about foam rollers and based on what I have heard from those that do use them, they are great. Especially if you don't have a massage therapist, or if it is just not gonna work with your schedule to make an appointment with one. Apparently pressure is placed on specific surfaces of the body. Use the roller to apply pressure to sensitive areas in muscles-which could be a knot, trigger point, or just an area of increased muscle density.  You are supposed to use the roller to search for these tender areas and to roll these areas to decrease density and over-activity of the muscle. You may find these places easily, and you may need to re-position the roller (parallel, perpendicular, or at a 45 degree angle. It just depends on the muscle. In time, you will master working out the knots with it, but it never hurts to just go ahead and book a massage. My hands can probably find and work knots and trigger points out  better than the foam roller. But the foam roller could definitely be used in between visits or before or after every massage.  Your choice.
Anyways, I need to get some house work and a work out done while my little one is asleep.

Do you receive massages regularly? Do you use a foam roller? What are your opinions of either or both? Someone please tell me more about this foam rolling! 

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment